How to File a Complaint

The Office of Public Utility Counsel (OPUC) represents residential and small commercial electric, telephone and water consumers in utility matters that come before the Public Utility Commission (PUC), the Electric Reliability Council of Texas (ERCOT), the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC), the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) and in state and federal courts to protect consumer interests. However, OPUC does not generally represent individual consumers or provide individual legal advice.


If you have a problem with a utility, you should first make the utility aware of your complaint and give them an opportunity to address your concerns. If you are not satisfied with the utility’s decision, OPUC can work with you and your utility to resolve the problem; however, OPUC does not have regulatory authority over utilities. If it is determined that regulatory authority is necessary to resolve your problem, you should file a complaint with the proper regulatory agency.


Other Service Complaints:

The state does NOT regulate all or most aspects of the following utilities and services:

Cable Television:
If you have a complaint, contact your local cable board or the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) at:

Cellular Service
If you have a complaint, contact your local Better Business Bureau or the FCC at:

Internet Services
If you have a complaint, contact the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) or the FCC at: or

Long distance
If you have a complaint, contact the FCC at:

Pre-paid calling cards
If you have a complaint, contact the FCC at:

Electric, Local Telephone, and Water and Wastewater Utility Complaints

To file a complaint about your electric, local telephone, or water and wastewater service provider you can:

Call the Consumer Protection Division of the Public Utility Commission (PUC) at:


or in Austin 512-936-7120 (TTY 1-800-735-2988) or

Go to the PUC’s website and file a complaint online at:

Or by email:

Or by fax: 512-936-7003

Or by mail to:

PUC - Consumer Protection
P.O. Box 13326
Austin, TX 78711-3326

The complaint should include the following information:

Your name, address and telephone number.
Company's name, address and telephone number.
Account number, if any.
An explanation of the facts and the specific resolution you are seeking.
Any documentation to support your complaint, such as a copy of the bill.
There is no time limit on filing a complaint, but be sure to do it as soon as possible, with all available documentation. The longer you wait, the more difficult it could be to resolve the problem.

If your problem is still unresolved after you have filed a complaint with your utility and the PUC, or you have additional questions, you may contact OPUC:

By phone: 512-936-7500

By Fax: 512-936-7525

Please make sure to provide OPUC with the same information you provided to the PUC's Consumer Protection Division.