Consumer Advice on Electric Bills & Rate Plans

OPUC is actively assisting residential consumers who have received high electricity bills resulting from the winter storm power outages in February. OPUC strongly encourages you to review your electricity bill and rate plan and contact the agency if you need assistance.

Griddy customers should disable autopay, file a complaint at the Public Utility Commission of Texas (PUC), and submit a complaint form at the Office of Attorney General’s website.

If your retail electric provider goes out of business, you will be transferred to one of three retail electric providers – TXU Energy, Reliant Energy, or Gexa Energy. Based on the PUC’s rules, the new providers are required to offer you a month-to-month, market-based rate plan. If you have questions about your new rate plan or want to learn about other rate plan options offered by your new provider, you should contact your provider directly. If you are unsatisfied with your new rate plan or rate plan options offered by your provider, OPUC encourages you to shop around for a new provider on the PUC’s Power to Choose website.

If you believe you were billed in error or want to request a deferred payment plan for your electricity bill, you should contact your electricity provider to note the error or request a deferred payment plan. If you are on a variable rate plan, you should be aware that your electricity rate may change based on your contract with your electricity provider. All variable rate plans should be month-to-month contracts. If you are dissatisfied with your electricity bill or variable rate plan, you can switch to another rate plan with your existing provider or shop for another electricity provider on the PUC’s Power to Choose website.

If you are served by a municipally owned utility or an electric cooperative, you should contact your provider with questions about your bills and ask for a payment plan, if necessary. You may also attend city council or cooperative board meetings to offer public comment or contact your city council or elected board member if you have additional questions.

Community organizations that offer financial assistance to eligible residential consumers may be found at 2-1-1 Texas. Some funding has also been set aside for bill payment assistance for residential consumers who qualify through the Texas Rent Relief program. This temporary program is set to expire when all funds are dispersed.

The PUC temporarily suspended disconnection of electric service for nonpayment for consumers who reside in areas of the state open to competition who can select their retail electric provider. In addition, the PUC continues to require retail electric providers to offer deferred payment plans to customers if the customer requests it.

Posted in